The expectations for homework for children are:
- Year R – nothing defined in the first half term, then gradual build up, a few minutes per day
- Year 1 & 2 – 10-15 mins per day (building gradually for year 1 in the first half of the autumn term)
- Year 3 & 4 – 15-20 mins per day
- Year 5 & 6 – 20-25 mins per day
Homework will have core elements:
- Reading (every day)
- Spellings and phonics
- Maths (Times Tables Rockstars, practising number bonds etc)
When the homework is set and when it is expected to be handed in or tested is up to the class teacher. None of the core homework tasks should require more than one week to be achieved.
Home Learning Projects
These are non-core subject activities that can be completed at home and are optional. They are projects or tasks that build on the foundation subject studies that children have been undertaking in school and sit outside of the homework expectation. These are communicated through the weekly class newsletters, or via Class Dojo, so there is a clear point of difference between them and the core homework.